Here's Why You Should Stay Away from Poison Hemlock

Poison hemlock is an invasive plant in the U.S., originally brought as an ornamental in the 1800s. It is highly toxic, with even a small amount being deadly if ingested. The plant is biennial, growing low to the ground in the first year and shooting up a tall stalk with white umbrella-shaped flowers in the second year. It can be found in various habitats and is a threat to livestock. Identifying features include fern-like foliage, purple spots on the stems, and a musty odor. It is best to destroy the plant early with herbicides or by removing the entire tap root. Skin irritation may occur upon contact.

news flash